Director of Development
The South Kingstown Land Trust (SKLT) seeks a part-time, exempt, experienced Director of Development who will be able to translate their passion and love of preserved and protected open space, farm land, coastal ponds, scenic vistas, forests, wetlands and cultural landscapes into successful development, membership and outreach initiatives that deliver visibility, engagement and increased financial support of donors and constituencies.
SKLT was started in 1983 by a small group of concerned South Kingstown residents and has grown into an Accredited Land Trust responsible for the stewardship of 101 fee properties and 63 easements that total over 2793 acres. The fee properties include an historic water powered grist mill, an original South County summer home, and over 12 miles of publicly accessible walking trails. SKLT focuses its conservation efforts in the Town of South Kingstown, RI and works closely with many constituencies throughout the town. It will be the responsibility of the Development Director to help craft the message to inform and engage both the year-round residents and seasonal visitors about SKLT and the vital role the organization plays in preserving the beauty, agriculture, and water quality of this special place.
The position reports to and works closely with the Executive Director.
- Plan and execute effective fundraising and development initiatives that leverage brand promise
- Develop and manage membership program including: recruitment, orientation, recognition, renewal
- Refine SKLT’s core messages to ensure brand consistency
- Develop and execute varied and integrated communications programs to enhance brand
- Implement and enhance existing development programs and events
- Support efforts to nurture and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences
- Identify and apply for appropriate foundation, corporate and grant support
- Engage and cultivate greater Board participation
- Manage member and donor database, Little Green Light (LGL)
- Work with Outreach Coordinator and other staff members to offer engaging and meaningful events and opportunities for members and donors
- Identify and advance mission with relevant constituents
- Create and launch new media and marketing initiatives
- Solicit and incorporate volunteer support for events and outreach
- Passion for our mission
- Experience in fundraising and development
- The ability to articulate SKLT’s work clearly in written and oral formats
- Demonstrated ability to be creative, take initiative, and be strategic to prioritize workload, meet tight deadlines, and achieve goals
- Demonstrated proficiency with social media platforms including WordPress, MailChimp, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency with a Donor Management System, LGL preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency with QuickBooks, credit card and ACH payments
- Excellent project management skills
- Demonstrated reliability, with ability to work as a part of a team as well as independently
- Good organizational skills, thoroughness, and attention to detail
- Strong donor relations skills, confidence to initiate and foster relationships
- Ability to work effectively with either specific instruction or little supervision
- Familiarity with protocols in handling confidential information
- Ability to flexibly perform in an office setting with a small staff
- Ability to serve as an ambassador for SKLT locally and regionally
- Ability to accompany donors on trails of moderate difficulty
- Ability to work in a collaborative and collegial manner with a wide range of people; including SKLT staff, trustees, volunteers, members, donors, and landowners
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic and sense of humor
- A. or comparable degree required
Physical Work Requirements:
The working environment of the Development Director is primarily in a professional office setting. However, the Development Director is expected to travel to off-site locations in order to attend meetings, stage events and other job-related activities. The office duties are often sedentary and require the ability to use a keyboard, complete written documents, and operate general office equipment and be able to lift 15-20 lbs. Possess valid driver’s license.
- Salary experience dependent
- Flexible Scheduling
- Paid time off (PTO) and 11 paid holidays
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Development Director Application”. Applications accepted until September 10, 2017 or until filled. Please; no phone calls. SKLT is an equal opportunity employer.