The mission of the South Kingstown Land Trust is to conserve and protect the natural resources and open spaces of our town for the enduring benefit of our community.
In line with this mission, we envision the following future for South Kingstown: That farms, forests, streams, and wetlands will be permanently protected and will provide scenic vistas, wildlife habitat, clean water, clean air, and recreational opportunities and will enhance the quality of life of present and future generations of South Kingstown residents and visitors.
South Kingstown Land Trust will work in partnership with public agencies, private organizations, and individuals to protect the natural resources that maintain a sense of place that is South Kingstown. SKLT will act to benefit public rather than private interests. SKLT will continue to provide a long-range vision of land conservation in the region. SKLT will provide information on private voluntary land conservation for landowners, local officials, and the public. SKLT will be a financially stable organization with an active and engaged board, volunteers, and staff.
As adopted by its Board of Trustees in 2005, South Kingstown Land Trust has set forth the following goals for the organization:
- To preserve land in order to protect natural resources, to preserve agricultural uses, and to maintain the community’s sense of place.
- To monitor and manage protected lands consistent with their values.
- To facilitate open space preservation and management among public and private organizations and government.
- To foster a regional approach to open space protection and management.
- To develop and maintain the financial and other resources required to carry out the mission.
- To communicate effectively with members and the public to promote greater involvement in the Land Trust’s activities.